About Reopen Beach Road
Reopen Beach Road, Inc. is Florida 501(c)(4) Not-for-profit Florida corporation.
Reprinted from Reopen Beach Road website.
Print petitions to sign here https://www.reopenbeachroad.org/clientuploads/pdf/beachRoadPetitions.pdf
On May 11, 2016, the Sarasota County Board of Commissioners voted to give away the last remaining
public right-of-way along the number 1 beach in the world – a section of Beach Road north
of Columbus Boulevard.
We are here to stop and reverse this action which is in direct opposition to the general
public welfare and
is harmful to our local business community. Join us.
In late 2012, the County hired Taylor Engineering, Inc. to design a hurricane resistant,
pedestrian friendly, permanent repair of this section of Beach Road. Extensive pressure
by the people seeking the abandonment of this road led County staff to recommend
against the solution pictured below. (Reference BCC #12106):
Previously, on July 22, 2009, County staff
recommended that the section of Beach
Road between Columbus Avenue and Avenida
Messina be reconstructed “in order to regain the
intended use of the roadway and protect it against
future storm events.” Pressure from three local
homeowners quashed the plan . (BCC Assignment #09062)
Our Commissioners mistakenly voted to abandon a
section of Beach Road just north of Columbus Avenue.
There was a lawsuit that led to stop this mistake
from becoming permanent. We now have a chance to let our voices be heard. The price tag of silence is that this
section of Beach Road will become the PRIVATE PROPERTY of the adjacent landowners, and thereby grant
them the ability to:
- Take away our right to rebuild our road, sidewalks, bike paths, handicap access or any hardening
of the surface whatsoever.
- Take away our right to have any input as to how this land is managed.
- Set in motion a chain of events that will most likely culminate with this section of road being
closed forever to the public.
- Set in motion a chain of events that will most likely culminate with the adjacent beach lands
being closed forever to the public all the way down to the wet sand beach.
- Set a legal precedent that will create a domino effect that will head north to the pier at Sunset
- Point and result in a TOTAL LOSS of public access to anything other than beach access #2 and
beach access#3 and the wet sand beach between them.
- Prohibit dogs from using this area forever.
It’s not over. Seriously. Not even close. And
it won’t be over until we prevail.
What we’ve done:
Reopen Beach Road has sued the County to prevent the give away for now. We’ve blanketed Sarasota County
with “Keep Beach Road Public” signs. We’ve attended every county commission meeting we can to inform them
of their mistake. We’ve done hours and hours of research to uncover very interesting facts about this abandoned
road and we are sharing it with you.
Why the effort? It’s the right thing.
The county has prevented the giveaway or sale of Beach Road for more than 40 years. Redesigning
Beach Road to be hurricane resistant, pedestrian-friendly and to permanently repair this public thoroughfare
would cost the city $2 million. It has since cost the county $6 million.
Want to get involved?
- Our lawsuit against the County is expensive. Please feel comfortable donating to the cause.
- We need to collect 15,000 completed and signed petitions from Sarasota County Registered Voters.
You can complete a petition here. We also ask you to invite us to drop off a stack of petitions for you to
pass out at your workplace or neighborhood. Contact Us here.
- You may write, email or call your county commissioners to let them know you want your road back!
Here is their contact information.
- Volunteer. We put on many fun events that require bodies wearing attractive “Reopen Beach Road” gear.
- Follow us on Facebook.